Welcome | Hotel Edward 1er - Monpazier - Dordogne
History of Hotel Edward 1er and Monpazier
King Edward 1st, king of England and Duke of Aquitaine had the Bastide of Monpazier built in 1284. Bastides were built as strongholds in the 100-year war between the French and the English in order to gain in power, to provide safe havens, but especially to raise taxes.
The hotel was given the name of Edward 1st in 1990 when it first opened its doors. That was approximately 100 years later than that the little château or “gentilhommière” was constructed. It was built by a rich cattle merchant in the end of the 19th century.
Monpazier was an important regional hub of cattle trade at that time. It changed hands a few times, but the longest period by one owner was between 1940 and 1980 when the local dentist, M. Paris, owned the house. It had his big make-over to a hotel in 1990, and Marije & Arjan Capelle bought the hotel in 2002 during their honeymoon.....but that’s another story...